Another Cthangband release, this time – as you might expect from the title – it’s Cthangband 6.6.
As with 6.5, this is only a minor update with a few bug fixes and quality-of-life changes, not any major gameplay changes. A full list of the changes is below:
- The ‘K’ command now recognises that rings and amulets with negative bonuses are worth destroying.
- Being out and about at midnight might be really good or really bad depending on the date…
- Fixed bug where quest info wasn’t properly reset between characters.
- Added documentation about the different towns and the types of shop that can be found in them, as well as the services provided by each shop.
- Changed the colour of a couple of townsfolk to avoid overlaps.
- Renamed the group versions of the various novices to apprentices so they don’t get confused with the individual versions in the kill list and monster recall.
- General stores now run an escort service.
- Fixed lighting of town fortifications at night.
- Corrected the spelling of Hlanith, which had been spelled wrongly for over two decades before I noticed!
- Sunrise and sunset are now accurately(!) calculated, based on the date (assuming that the island is on the 51st parallel north).
- Game time is now tracked properly, rather than just inferred from turn count.
- Yig added to list of patrons, replacing Mordiggian.
- You can now invoke the favour of Great Old Ones with a scroll even if you don’t have one as a patron.
- Thresholds for boring levels decreased to reduce amount of re-rolling.
- Fixed a few incorrect pluralisations of monster names.
- Curses can now be removed at the temple.
- Fixed bug where if you had *exactly* the right amount of gold for a shop service it would think you couldn’t afford it.
- Fixed resting for the night/day recovering hit points but not mana.
- Documentation about feelings updated to show the separate monster/treasure feelings.
- Special levels now override the separate monster/treasure feelings.
- Viva la slime molds!
- Player skills now show a relative rating as well as an absolute percentage.
- Changed a few UI text colours and symbols to make things easier to read against the textured backgrounds.
- More behind-the-scenes code refactoring.
The new version can be downloaded from here.